Sunday, January 25, 2009

3 Good & 3 Bad Packaging Designs

So I took a trip to my local whole foods market to find some interesting and not so interesting packaging design. Here is what I found:

The Good



















I was walking down the water aisle and was looking at most of the water bottles on the shelves. Most of them were similar and just had that boring water bottle look. That was until this water bottle caught the attention of my eyes. It was so bright and blue I had to pick it up and look at it. The shape has a very elegant feel plus on the side of the bottle it has this nice swirly design imprinted on the bottle. It was also still very easy to carry around and hold while drinking.















I thought this was a very successful packaging design. It's a lot more different from the other cereal boxes that I saw. The fact that it shows the actual product in a very unique way not just by a hole on the box but rather having an actual design for the die cuts on the box making it look like leaves made it a very nice piece. 


















This Absolut Vodka bottle was very fun to look at. The disco ball shell made it a really fun vodka that made you want to buy it and have a party. It also reminded me of a alcohol shakers used to mix drinks. I like how Absolut has all kinds of different outer casings for different themes, this one being a disco theme.

The Bad











This pasta packaging I thought was very boring to look at, I didn't like the color choice for the box and the girl which I believe is their logo was just creepy looking and didn't really make me want to buy this product. Also, the box wasn't very sturdy and it felt like it was going to break.



















This water bottle packaging I thought was very unsuccessful. The triangle shape was weird although different from other water bottles, was not a good package. It was very hard to hold and is even harder to drink out of being that it is a triangle shape. I also thought of if I were to put this in a cup holder that it would not fit since it is a triangle shaped bottle.















So what can I say about this last product? DAMN! When I first saw this I thought it was a joke product, but I found it in the baby section! Everything about this just screams bad. First off the baby on the box looks plain out scary and not very appealing. Also, the section where it shows the actual product made it a little better but the product just looks like wood. It was also very hard so I don't really know how a baby would eat it. Overall, I thought this was a very unsuccessful product and packaging. If I were a baby I would not want to buy this.

6 comments:

  1. I like the packaging of ETERNAL water bottle as well. I've seen it before and it's clean look catches the attention. The packaging is very simple but the label is what creates this magical look for the bottle. Good choice for Good Packaging Design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dorset cereals are gorgeous, no other cereal boxes Ive seen even come close. And those Teethers are hilarious the baby looks crazed and the Teethers logo also looks scary, like something a demonic child would draw on a wall.

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Dorset cereal box. It looks so different and unique. I've never seen anything like that before.

    I agree on the pasta packaging design. It doesn't look sturdy. The one thing I wish pasta packaging came with is something that we can seal it in to keep it for later use or just to keep it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolut Vodka always has great packaging. Usually they are clean and smooth or fun and funky. The disco bottle was really out of the ordinary, but I love it. The teether thing was horrible. It looked like someone just took a picture of a baby off the internet and made the packaging in 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the last product is little bit creepy while the Dorset cereal box is A grade packaging because you can see through the real cereal without create the image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate disco and that baby is creepy as hell.

    ReplyDelete